Type Here to Get Search Results !

Sim Local eSIM review

Sim Local eSIM review

When I compare travel eSIMs, I usually start with two questions. How much data do I get, and how much does it cost?

Sim Local made me add a third. Who is actually providing the plan?

That matters because I can buy an EE, Three, or Orange package through the same storefront, with different features attached to each one. More choice sounds great. I just don’t want to discover the important differences after landing.

Talking about the brand, Sim Local’s history goes back to 2011, when Irish entrepreneur Killian Whelan opened its first shop at Dublin Airport. The company is now based in Dublin and London, selling through stores, kiosks, vending machines, its website and app.

To find out how the provider compares to the best eSIMs for international travel we've tested, I examined its published plans, network information, setup guidance and policies. My assessment is research-based rather than an on-trip test of connection speeds.

Sim Local: Plans and pricing

I’ve compared selected country-specific, regional, and global packages below. You can check out the plans on the Sim Local site by clicking here.

Destination or coverage

Provider

Data allowance

Validity

Price

United Kingdom

Three UK

100GB in the UK

30 days

$20.25

France

Lycamobile

70GB in France

15 days

$17.25

United States

Lycamobile

18GB

30 days

$33.00

Japan

au by KDDI

Unlimited

15 days

$39.00

Thailand

Sim Local

20GB

30 days

$18.50

Europe

Orange

50GB

31 days

$46.00

Asia

Orange

20GB

31 days

$34.50

Global, 116 countries

Orange

100GB

31 days

$92.00

The UK and France packages stand out to me for their data allowances. I’d consider regional or global coverage for a multi-country trip, but I wouldn’t pay for a bigger bundle unless I expected to use it.

Sim Local: Features and specs

The operator selection is Sim Local’s main attraction for me. Beyond its UK and European options, its network directory lists AU for Japan, True for Thailand, and MobiFone for Vietnam. I like being able to identify the provider before buying, although a recognized name alone wouldn’t establish how well a remote hotel or rural route is covered.

Calls and texts are another reason I’d look beyond data allowance alone. I’d check the selected package for a phone number and calling or SMS allowances. For a trip involving hotel calls or reservations, those extras could be more useful to me than another few gigabytes.

However, a local allowance and a roaming allowance aren’t necessarily the same thing. Three’s UK 100GB package includes a UK number and unlimited local calls and texts, but its published roaming allowance is up to 12GB in the listed destinations. I wouldn’t buy it expecting to carry all 100GB into France or Australia.

You can install it through the app, via an emailed QR code, or with manual details. Sim Local’s instructions also cover selecting the new eSIM for mobile data and enabling data roaming on that profile.

The app supports plan management, with usage checking and top-ups available on most plans rather than universally.

Sim Local: Customer support

Sim Local advertises 24/7 online chat and WhatsApp support, alongside email at customerqueries@simlocal.com. I like having more than one way to get help, especially when the problem could be anything from a download issue to a connection that won’t start.

I wouldn’t confuse those contact hours with a guaranteed immediate fix, though. The lower-rated customer reviews I read included reports of failed connections, with Sim Local responding that it needed more information to investigate.

The refund policy is more specific than the “no-quibble” wording might suggest. If I change my mind, I can request a full refund within 14 days of purchase if the eSIM hasn’t been activated. Technical activation failures attributable to Sim Local or its network can qualify outside that window.

The policy also makes an exception for an activated eSIM that remained unusable because of a technical fault on their side. Approved refunds are processed within five to ten business days.

Is Sim Local worth it?

I’d shortlist Sim Local when I need a particular combination of data, calls, coverage, and trip length. Its European voice-and-data packages are especially interesting to me because I can compare several options through the same storefront.

For basic maps and messaging in one country, I’d start with a smaller fixed-data package. For a longer or multi-country trip, I’d spend more time checking the roaming allowance, activation trigger, and fair-use rules.

Overall, I feel my decision on buying an eSIM or a plan depends entirely on what all I'm getting, rather than picking an eSIM based on the brand. Simlocal does give me some useful options, but what's inside a package is actually the deal breaker for me.

Importantly, I feel the regional plans for Europe and Asia do make the cut for me, as compared to the other country-wise packages.

Sim Local: FAQs

Is Sim Local legitimate?

Based on its published company history, I’d regard Sim Local as an established travel-connectivity retailer. It dates its first Dublin Airport shop to 2011 and operates physical and online sales channels. That history doesn’t guarantee identical network performance in every destination.

Does Sim Local provide a phone number?

On selected plans, yes. I’d look for a package explicitly marked for data, calls and SMS. The number isn’t necessarily local to every destination. I’d check the issuing country and included call and text allowances before choosing a plan for those features.

Can I use Sim Local as a hotspot?

Yes, on supported packages, including Three’s UK 100GB plan. I’d still check the selected plan’s allowance and fair-use rules before relying on tethering for sustained laptop use.

Can I reinstall a deleted Sim Local eSIM?

Usually not. Sim Local says most operators don’t allow deleted profiles to be recovered. It documents a Smartroam exception for manual reinstallation on the same device, with further restrictions for topped-up or extended plans. I’d contact support before deleting a profile.


Tags

Post a Comment

0 Comments
* Please Don't Spam Here. All the Comments are Reviewed by Admin.

Top Post Ad

Below Post Ad

Hollywood Movies