Type Here to Get Search Results !

My Brilliant Career has cured my period drama-hating past by being the best TV show I've seen on Netflix this year — but don't expect it to be a Bridgerton bonkbuster

My Brilliant Career has cured my period drama-hating past by being the best TV show I've seen on Netflix this year — but don't expect it to be a Bridgerton bonkbuster

In the mid 2000s, I was fascinated with the reality TV show Aussie Ladette to Lady. It branded a "new breed" of Australian woman as loud, vulgar, and unfit for any self-respecting society, thrusting them into weeks-long sophistication training that, of course, never lasted. In a nutshell, this is also the premise for the new Netflix series My Brilliant Career.

In hindsight, the former TV show was nothing but an excuse to vilify a new kind of 'modern woman' for the sake of viewing figures, purposefully engineering mistakes to be captured on camera through the magic of reality TV production. If these producers were around in the early 1900s, Sybylla (Philippa Northeast) would be ripe for the picking.

My Brilliant Career introduces us to the voracious, outspoken, and self-assured eldest daughter from Possum Gully (what an incredible name) as she's forced to move into her Grandma's (Anna Chancellor) house to be conditioned for her entry to high society. Convinced that she doesn't want a husband but instead wants to live life to the fullest — and become a published writer in the process — Sybylla is a woman before her time. For us in 2026, that also means she's timeless.

How? Her refusal to back down, concede to a patriarchal society that is built for her to fail, and an impeccable ability to see the godforsaken truth from a mile away. Sybylla is the type of woman most of us aspire to be now, let alone over 100 years ago.

So framing her plight in early 20th-century Australia only makes her triumphs all the more delicious. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that the six-episode binge doesn't even feel like a typical period drama.

As a renowned hater of the genre, watching My Brilliant Career is the most unexpected pleasure I've had so far this year — and I'll happily vouch for it being the strongest and most authentic show that Netflix has released across 2026 to date. And what if I said that I even prefer it to Bridgerton?

My Brilliant Career is the joyous binge I need in my life right now

If you know a thing or two about Australian New Wave Cinema, you might recognize this story already. Based on the novel of the same name by Miles Franklin (who, if you haven't guessed, is a woman using her middle name as a pseudonym), My Brilliant Career was first adapted for film in 1979.

But as incredible as Judy Davis and Sam Neill were, Netflix's typically frustrating and overused style actually works to unlock something even more playful in Franklin's story. Every decision, from production design to soundtrack, is one that doesn't take itself seriously, and allows Sybylla to simultaneously run wild and challenge authority in one fell swoop.

If you are a woman who grew up believing that by being a "good girl," you were able to get ahead in life, My Brilliant Career is the metaphoric kick in the nuts you've always wanted to give the world.

Throughout its six episodes, there are so many instances where I feel as though Sybylla is living my dream. Telling people what she truly thinks regardless of consequence? Bliss. Having the time and space to think and create freely? I could only imagine. Being so self-assured at such a young age? Hell, I'm not even sure if I'm at her level as a 31-year-old.

All of this makes My Brilliant Career one of those beautiful moments where you are so immersed in what you are watching that time, as you know it, is suspended. Throughout those six episodes, the only truth that exists in your life is the one that's playing out on screen. And that, my friends, is the sign of a job done well.

Anna Chancellor as a grandma? That can't be right

Two men and two women stand in a garden during a party

(Image credit: Netflix)

My Brilliant Career is scandalous for its time, but don't think that equates to the bonkbusting boundaries of Bridgerton. Personally, I think that this element is a little oversold, especially as it doesn't need outright sex scenes to feel like a rampant, virginal teen. Less certainly is more... as is the use of words, not actions.

But these effects are only possible thanks to the phenomenal casting. Northeast's Sybylla at once embodies every decade of life that she'll ever live, and her wisdom and wit are frankly spellbinding. The same can be said for Kate Mulvany's intoxicating Aunt Augusta, whose moral quandary between a man's world and a woman's needs is more thoughtful than most think pieces on the subject I've ever read.

A particular shoutout must go to the woman I've parasocially loved since her appearance in the 2002 adaptation of Tipping the Velvet: Anna Chancellor. Though I still cannot get my head around the idea of her playing someone's grandmother, she's exactly the calibre of actor you want when a period drama takes a more bohemian turn. She manages to make absolutely everything feel like the first time you've ever seen it, and her delicious delivery never fails to delight me.

Netflix, I have to give it to you. Just when I think I've experienced everything you have to offer, a treat for the eye and mind like My Brilliant Career comes along and blows me away. Maybe you never lost your touch after all.

My Brilliant Career is on Netflix from August 13.


Tags

Post a Comment

0 Comments
* Please Don't Spam Here. All the Comments are Reviewed by Admin.